Physical Therapy Exercises for Shoulder Pain
Shoulder Pain is a nagging ailment that affects approximately 25% of adults. That happens because it is the most used joint in our bodies. Your shoulder joint consists of three major parts that work together to allow you to perform daily tasks like typing, driving, eating, running, walking, laundry, and more with ease. These joints include the humerus, scapula, and clavicle. Tendons, muscles, and ligaments hold these bones together and facilitate movement.
If you are experiencing shoulder pain or discomfort, read on to discover the best physical therapy exercises for shoulder pain.
Neck release is a simple physical therapy exercise that will help reduce tension in your neck and shoulders.
- Start by lowering your chin towards your chest to stretch the back of your neck
- In this position, tilt your head to the right to stretch the left shoulder and hold for one minute
- Now, tilt your head to the right to stretch the right shoulder and hold for one minute
- Stretch each side three to five times
If you feel you need a deeper stretch, you can place one hand on your shoulder and the hand above your ears to guide your movement.
Downward Dog Pose
The downward dog pose can help stretch and strengthen your shoulder muscles. It is also effective for strengthening your back.
- Place your hands and knees on the ground. Once you are comfortable, lift your hips towards the ceiling
- Remember to keep your knees slightly bent to prevent injury
- Maintain a straight spine as you pull your head towards your feet to flex your shoulder overhead
- Maintain the pose for about one minute
Shoulder circles are an effective warm-up exercise for your shoulders. It can also enhance your flexibility.
- Stand behind a chair and place your left hand on that chair
- Loosen up and allow the right hand to hang down
- Once you are in position, rotate your right hand five times in both directions
- Do the same for your left hand
- It is best to do shoulder circles two to three times daily
Chest expansion is ideal for individuals who want to enhance shoulder flexibility and range of motion.
- Stand up, holding an exercise band, towel, or strap behind your back with both hands
- While in this position, expand your chest by moving the shoulder blades towards each other
- Remember to lift your chin towards the ceiling on each cycle
- Hold for around 30 seconds and repeat three to five times
Across the Chest Stretch
Across the chest, stretch is the perfect exercise for individuals who want to enhance flexibility in the shoulder joint and surrounding muscles.
- Start with the left arm across the chest and place it on the right elbow. You can also use your right hand to support the arm
- Maintain the position for one minute and do the same for your left arm
- Repeat the exercise 3 to 5 times
Shoulder pain usually occurs due to sudden injuries and overuse injuries. Luckily, these exercises can help with shoulder pain and discomfort. Make sure to visit the best physical therapist in Chicago if you are experiencing shoulder pain due to an auto or work accident. Addressing the issue early on with a qualified physical therapist can help prevent serious problems. Here at La Clínica, we strive to help you get back to your regular activities as soon as possible.
Our doctors who do physical therapy use modern imaging and equipment to diagnose the full extent of your shoulder injury. They also use their deep knowledge of physical therapy and training to help you recover from the nagging shoulder pain and discomfort.